THE HUB: Where Culture & Music Unite

Lola MagazineClinton Downing, Community

For many years, Monroe was an entertainment hub for Northeast Louisiana. Back in the ‘60s and ‘70s, artists like Ray Charles, Sonny and Cher, Elvis and many others made Monroe a stop on their touring schedules. As the years went by, other artists like Prince, …

Gifts of a Lifetime

Lola MagazineCommunity, Donesa Walker

The Spirit of Giving is a gift.  That “give the shirt off your back” kind of generosity is something only a few people truly possess and yet it is a trait that can be given to others simply in the training of it.   When I …

Women in Business: The Gig Economy

Lola MagazineCommunity, Kirsten Gladen

Rhonda Denman is a 63-year-old woman who is on a roll, literally! With Uber expanding to every parish in Louisiana, she is taking full advantage of the perks of setting her own schedule and earning residual income in the process.  After working for CenturyLink for …

Travel Matters: North to Alaska

Lola MagazineCommunity, Kathy Spurlock

Tracy’s King Crab Shack in Juneau, Alaska, is 3,417 miles from my home in Monroe. Not a weekend jaunt.  But I dreamed of dining there as I began planning our Alaskan vacation. My research revealed the best way to taste Alaska within the one- to …

Volunteers of America’s Caring Gifts

Lola MagazineCommunity, Tricia Jowell

30 years ago, Volunteers of America began its holiday campaign to raise money and provide services to the most vulnerable in our community.   They’re known as…Caring Gifts. What if you could buy all of your family and friends a Christmas present, have someone else mail …

Women Networking

Lola MagazineCommunity, Dr. Lindsey Pennington

“Network like a woman” is new terminology to me, but I’ve been watching men network like men for years. During my training as a facial plastic surgeon, I was often one of the only women in the room. I noticed that the male surgeons who …

FROM HER PERSPECTIVE: Miss Louisiana 2019

Lola MagazineCommunity, Meagan Crews

(headshot photography by Steven Palowsky) “Are pageants even still relevant?” “Are you sure you still want to compete? Aren’t you getting a little too old to be dedicating so much into a pageant?” At 22 years old with nearly seven years of involvement with the …

5 Ways To Find Financial Peace with Your Spouse

Lola MagazineBen James, Community

Under the influence of romance, practicalities often go overlooked or unaddressed. While disputes over who takes out the garbage might not be lifechanging, studies show that couples who can’t agree on how to spend and save have a higher likelihood of divorce. To maintain a …

Lola Party Presents: Saturday Night Fever

Lola MagazineCommunity, Lola Shreveport

Join us for the Grooviest celebration of the year! The 3rd annual Lola Party, “Saturday Night Fever!” Saturday September 7, from 7-11  at Le Bossier Event Center Can you dig it?! This year come boogie the night away with music from The Good News Band, …

Up With People

Lola MagazineCommunity, Lola Shreveport

Up with People is a global education organization that empowers young people to be positive agents of change in their communities and the world. Through our unique blend of music, social action, and international travel, we impact communities for the better while providing youth the …

From Friendship to Family

Lola MagazineCommunity, Melinda Wallace

Tiffany is an amazing young woman — raising her son as a single mother, holding down a full-time job, and completing her education to become a registered nurse. Hers was not an easy road, however, as she endured the painful absence of nurturing parents and …

Ruston Strong

Lola MagazineBritt Elizabeth, Community, Elizabeth Craft

Ruston residents went to sleep on the evening of April 24 with no prediction that an F3 tornado would strike during the early hours of the next day. And like a thief, the storm took its toll: two lives and millions in damages to the …

Coffee Talk

Lola MagazineAngela Vinet, Brittany Strickland, Community

Nothing says,“I’M GOING TO MAKE IT THROUGH THIS DAY” like a good cup of joe. Lucky for us, our area has some of the best brews you can find. Be sure to check out all of our local coffee shops complete with good vibes and …