Do you remember the last time you received an unexpected compliment? How did it make you feel? Did it make an impression on you? When I consider the different types of impressions we make on people, there are none more powerful than when you do something unexpected to show people kindness. When you take the time to surprise people with compassion and love, you make them feel noticed and appreciated. You will also benefit because there is joy in unselfish acts when you give yourself or your resources. In 2020, Lola Magazine wants to challenge you to be better, be kinder, and develop habits that may enhance the daily lives of others. Try implementing these eight ideas over the next couple of months and let us know how it makes you feel.
We know times have changed recently and we are unable to extend a hug or a high five. We encourage you to take this time to really soak in your family and dig deep to find the things in your life that are really important.
Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world.
– Howard Zinn
- Zoom or Facetime an old friend who may be quarantined alone and need some encouragement.
- Order curbside pick up from a local business that may be suffering.
- Give an extra-large tip to your SHIPT or Instacart deliverer.
- Call your loved ones in nursing homes! Make them a sign! Go sit outside their window!
- Take some time for self-care. Write in your journal about how this quarantine has made you a better person.
- Go through your closet and get rid of anything that you haven’t worn in 6 months and take to it a shelter. THEY NEED IT MORE THAN YOU.
- Adopt a pet from a local shelter.
- PRAY. Pray for our community, our healthcare providers, the sick and hurting and for all those who are suffering.