It’s still cold outside and flavorful soups are on the menu. Sweet Potatoes are abundant in Northern Louisiana and this recipes with an Indian twist will be one you will find not only easy to make but very tasty.
Sweet Potato & Pinto Bean Soup
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T butter salted
- 1 med onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots peeled chopped
- 2 med sweet potatoes cooked and mashed
- ½ c pinto beans cooked
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cardamom ground
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- Pinch of nutmeg
- In a large saucepot over medium heat, melt the butter with olive oil. Add onions, garlic, celery and carrots until soft and carrots are no longer firm.
- Stir in mashed cooked sweet potatoes, pinto beans and broth. Mix well and simmer on low for about 30 mins.
- Puree Soup in a blender or with a blender stick.
- Return the soup to the pot, reduce the heat to low, stir in spices and simmer for about 15 more minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and serve hot.
Written by the “Boss of Southern Cuisine” Chef H.D. Harris
Learn more about Chef Harris at www.foodtourslouisiana.com