“An old-fashioned simple favorite in the Harris household. This was one of our favorite dishes my dad (Welton Harris) used to make, straight out of his garden. Good times and great memories.”
–Chef H.D. Harris, Private Chef Services
Green Beans with New Potatoes
- 2 medium ham shanks
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 onion large chopped
- 3 lbs green beans fresh cut in half
- 1 ½ lbs new potatoes small cut in half
- 1 TB all-purpose seasoning.
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot cover shanks with water.
- Add garlic and onions. Cover and boil about 30-45 mins until meat is easily pulled from the bone. Remove bones.
- Add potatoes and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Add green beans and continue cooking for about 15 minutes until beans are soft but not falling apart. Potatoes should be tender.
- Add garlic powder, all purpose seasoning, salt and pepper
- Serve with cornbread
- Options: Ham hocks or smoked turkey thighs can be substituted for ham shanks.